Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Consume and be Consumed

Some one recently said to me “everyone has an appetite for something”. Of course the important question is what is that appetite and greater yet - what are we consuming to satisfy it. This conversation took me back to a time when I dug into that familiar scripture that says “The love of money is the root of all evil.” What I learned was quite eye opening for me. The greek word used here is actually one word but the english translation in most bibles is “the love of money”, which “short changes” the depths of the actual word Avarice”- excessive or insatiable desire. Consuming lust. Unchenchable thirst.
We really are not talking here about money.
That would be the easy way out.

What this is really about is
a said
apple,
off a particular tree,
in the midst of a certain garden.

In that paradise of Gods there was everything man needed. God told him it was all his for the taking. But tucked away in that garden (“in the midst”) were 2 very special trees. One was called the Tree of Life. Eat from that and everlasting life is yours. The other tree was called the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Eat from that and you will surely die.

Now what does this have to do with insatiable lust?

What you consume will for certain consume you.

Now most folks that know me would certainly say (I hope) that I am not a greedy person. I am not one that hords money or can't get enough “stuff” to fill my house and ego, but what God so graciously pointed out to me was that not every piece of “Avarice” fruit can be identified by your average epicurean. There is infact alot of fruit in my life that ...hhmm, (I'm trying to find the right words here). Actually, heres a quote I picked up somewhere that sums it up well.

“When the woman saw that the fruit was good for nourishing her physically, and it certainly looked very pleasing to her soulcial senses, and added to that it looked like it would be a real mind blower and she consumed it." (plucked carelessly from Genesis 3:6)



What you consume will for certain consume you.




And when the deed was done their eyes were open and there they were ...........exposed.

And so God exposed my fear, my worry, my unfaithfulness, my judgements, my ridiculous attempt at covering it all and more up and in His unimaginable mercy and grace He offered my a covering. A covering that became available with the shedding of blood

and a relationship that would nourish me,

that would bring me joy unspeakable
and truth

and every opportunity to consume Him that I may certainly be consumed by Him.


2 comments:

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

How beautiful!

How can I follow your blog? I don't see a tag that will allow me to follow you. (I know, I know, I should be following Christ. But I'm already on His list of favorite bloggers! Now I wanna be on yours!)

Legs and Wings said...

Good thoughts. Also, I appreciated your word to the youth at Bridgewater on Friday night.